Royal Academy of Bhangra
First Canadian Non-For-Profit to offer formal Punjabi Folk Dance Education
In 2012, a group of dedicated arts and bhangra enthusiasts came together to create a professional bhangra organization that would not only raise the platform of Punjabi Folk Arts through quality programming and events, but collaborate with the wider community to create awareness and opportunities for fusion, exploration and connection.
Royal Academy of Bhangra is the first Canadian not-for-profit academy to offer a formal Punjabi Folk Dance education with a syllabus consisting of three grade levels. The Academy’s Dance Director, Hardeep Singh Sahota, was key in the development of the bhangra syllabus program for all Canadian Dance Teachers, BC Branch.
The Academy successfully uses the art form of bhangra as a creative outlet to promote skills, discipline, physical fitness, and provide team building and leadership initiatives for youth. The Academy offers training in Punjabi Folk Dances such as Bhangra, Jhummar, Dhamal and Malwai Giddha, Sammi, Luddi and Kikli along with traditional Punjabi Folk Instruments.
Royal Academy of Bhangra is dedicated to building a stronger and healthier community by:
- Creating an understanding and appreciation for the Punjabi Folk Art form of bhangra and Folk music in the Diaspora.
- Creating opportunities for meaningful engagement in quality programs and events designed to engage, educate and connect Canadian Punjabi youth with their heritage and culture.
- Creating understanding, acceptance and celebrating each Canadians unique background through innovative and experimental collaborations with diverse genres of music and dance.
Royal Academy of Bhangra produces socially relevant programming that:
- Creates opportunity for honest and authentic intercultural dialogue and understanding
- Challenges audiences and participants to discover how much we have in common with each other
- Use collaborative, informative and participatory approaches to explore community identities, heritages, and cultures
- Create safe community spaces for cultural exploration and exchange
- Showcase Canada’s rich and diverse multicultural mosaic through the art of music, dance and storytelling
Royal Academy of Bhangra is a movement fuelled by passion, dedication and love.